New Delhi: Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ today approved the release of the report of All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2019-20.
This Report provides key performance indicators on the current status of Higher education in the country.
Here are the key highlights of the report:
• Total Enrolment in Higher Education stands at 3.85 crorein 2019-20 as compared to 3.74 crore in 2018-19, registering a growth of 11.36 lakh (3.04 %). Total enrolment was 3.42 crore in 2014-15.
• Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER), the percentage of students belonging to the eligible age group enrolled in Higher Education, in 2019-20 is 27.1% against 26.3% in 2018-19 and 24.3% in 2014-2015.
• Gender Parity Index (GPI) in Higher Education in 2019-20 is 1.01 against 1.00 in 2018-19 indicating an improvement in the relative access to higher education for females of eligible age group compared to males.
• Pupil Teacher Ratio in Higher Education in 2019-20 is 26.
• In 2019-20: Universities: 1,043(2%); Colleges: 42,343(77%) and stand-alone institutions: 11,779(21%).
• 3.38 crore Students enrolled in programmes at under-graduate and post-graduate level. Out of these, nearly 85% of the students (2.85 crore) were enrolled in the six major disciplines such as Humanities, Science, Commerce, Engineering & Technology, Medical Science and IT & Computer.
• The number of students pursuing PhD in 2019-20 is 2.03 lakh against 1.17 lakh in 2014-15.
• The Total Number of Teachers stands at 15,03,156 comprising of 57.5% male and 42.5% female.