London: Indian flamboyant opener Rohit Sharma today scripted history in the ongoing World Cup after scoring his fourth hundred of the tournament.
With his 26th ODI hundred that came against Bangladesh at Birmingham, Rohit has become the first Indian batsman to score maximum number of hundreds in a World Cup.
Former India skipper Sourav Ganguly had scored three centuries in the 2003 World Cup.
Here are some interesting stats:
- Rohit (544) surpassed David Warner (516) to become the leading run-getter in the ongoing World Cup
- Rohit now equals Kumar Sangakkara’s record of the most centuries in a World Cup edition (4).
- Rohit stands second along with Sangakkara and Ricky Ponting to score 5 World Cup hundreds.
- Sachin Tendulkar scored 6 World Cup hundreds.
- Rohit took 15 matches to score 5 World Cup hundreds, Sachin 45 matches for 6 hundreds, while Kumar Sangakkara and Ricky Ponting scored 5 hundreds in 37 and 46 matches respectively.
- Rohit became the second Indian after Sachin Tendulkar to breach the 500-run mark in a World Cup. Sachin had amassed 500 plus runs in the 1996 and 2003 edition.
- Rohit slammed the most number of ODI tons by a batsman this year.
- Rohit became the seventh Indian to score 800-plus runs in World Cup.
- Rohit surpassed former Indian skipper Mohammad Azharuddin (826) and Virender Sehwag (843).
- Rohit scored over 1,000 runs in ODIs this year and became only the third cricketer to achieve the feat.
- Rohit now has the most number of sixes among Indian batsmen in ODIs beating MS Dhoni.
- Rohit scored his first World Cup hundred against Bangladesh in the quarterfinals in 2015 in Melbourne.
Rohit’s centuries in 2019 World Cup
122* off 144 balls – South Africa
140 off 113 balls- Pakistan
102 off 109 balls- England
104 off 92 balls- Bangladesh