Bhubaneswar: In line with the promises made and the decision of the Cabinet, the state government has started issuing works to the women self help groups through its different departments. Answering a question from Jayant Kumar Sarangi, Minister for Women & Child Development (W&CD) and Mission Shakti, Tukuni Sahoo has said in the Assembly that the government has initiated steps to give works worth Rs 1000 Crore to the women self help groups this year. Ten departments have been entrusted to give different types of works to the lakhs of SHGs.
The Ten Different Works Being Given to the SHGs Include
- 1. Supply of uniform to Anganwadi children through Women & Child Development (W&CD) and Mission Shakti Department.
- 2.Paddy procurement at Mandis and management of PDS centers through the Food Supplies & Consumer Welfare Department.
- 3.Distribution of Mandia Ladu, collection of Chiranji seeds, management of stores as agents, plant nursery management and honey culture through Agriculture & Farmers’ Empowerment Department.
- 4.Preparation and supply of Mid Day Meal and supply of rice for MDM as agents through the School & Mass Education Department.
- 5.Electricity meter reading and collection of bills from the consumers through the Energy Department.
- 6.Guarding and protecting old forests, afforestation in the damaged patches, permanent management of the forests under the ‘Ama Jungle’ programme and processing of forest products to enhance their quality through the Forest & Environment Department.
- 7.Management of public health centers in the urban areas through the Housing & Urban Development Department.
- 8.Fish farming in Gram Panchayat ponds/tanks and commercial poultry farms through Fisheries & Animal Resources Development Department.
- 9.Food supply to hospitals, distribution of sanitary napkins and mosquito nets through the Health & Family Welfare Department.
- 10.Repair of rural road annually through the Rural Development Department.
The minister also said that the women self help group members are regularly being sent to different exhibitions and melas organized in the state and other states to sell their products.