New Delhi: The Congress Party today came down heavily on the Center and accused the Narendra Modi government of political vendetta and Witch-hunting in the arrest of former finance minister P Chidambaram. In a press statement, senior Congress leader Randeep Singh Surjewala has said that Modi Government 2.0 is trying to divert the nation’s attention from the sinking economy.
Statement of Shri. Randeep Singh Surjewala.
Over the last two days India witnessed the broad daylight murder of democracy and the rule of law by a Government hell bent upon using CBI and ED as personal revenge seeking departments for the party in power.
The vindictive, selective and malicious manner in which former Finance Minister & Home Minister, Shri. P. Chidambaram has been persecuted and prosecuted is nothing short of a brazen personal and political vendetta.
With the narrative on a sinking economy spiralling out of their control, massive and unprecedented job losses, shocking devaluation of the rupee as Asia’s worst performing currency and unfathomable crisis in all sectors leading to shutting down of factories and trade, we now see the depths to which a desperate Modi Government 2.0 will stoop to divert the nation’s attention.
While the BJP Propaganda Machine in cahoots with puppet news channels, works desperately to churn out falsehoods, fake news and outright lies, the facts simply do not support their claim.
1. Neither Shri. P. Chidambaram nor his son, have been accused of any offence in the INX Media case. Additionally, there is no offence disclosed against him in the FIR.
2. Karti Chidambaram has been raided a record four times in connection with the same matter. He had appeared in response to over 20 summons. Yet the investigating authorities seem to lack sufficient evidence to file a charge sheet.
3. The case seems to rely solely upon the testimony of one approver-currently in prison- on trial for the shocking and alleged murder of her own daughter for which she continues to face trial.
4. Except for the blatant intent of the BJP Government to humiliate and tarnish the reputation of Shri. P. Chidambaram there was no occasion or hurry or reason to arrest him.
a. Shri. P. Chidambaram is one of India’s most respected economists and politicians. He has cooperated fully with the investigating authorities on every single occasion. A Senior Advocate of the Supreme Court, he has the highest regard for the Constitution and has never evaded any proceeding nor has he intended to.
b. Despite the hostile atmosphere prevailing under the patronage of the BJP Government, there was no allegation against Shri. P. Chidambaram vis-à-vis either influencing a witness or interfering with the gathering of evidence in any manner.
Except for a vicious and venal vendetta there was no other foundation to arrest him.
5. After over 5 years of futile investigation, for an alleged offence that took place in 2008, the authorities are unable to come out with any clear or precise allegation or a compelling case against Shri. P. Chidambaram. This leads to only one unmistakable conclusion – false charges are being heaped upon senior political rivals to silence anyone and everyone in the country.
6. Can the authorities answer and place before the public the nature of the charges against Shri. P. Chidambaram instead of engaging in public spectacle through puppet news channels to character assassinate him.
We, as a nation, must rise up and refuse to be silent spectators to the death of democracy.
We Stand with Shri. P. Chidambaram and reiterate our unwavering belief in his innocence.
We hope that the officers who scaled walls in their eagerness to please their political masters, as also select TV channels, have the courage to tell the PM & HM, that there is zero evidence of any case against him.
We have faith that the Rule of Law, which is under attack from the ruling BJP Government, shall prevail and the life and liberty enshrined in the Constitution will not become a dead letter.